Frequently Asked Questions

1.  How are my benefits calculated?

Your LGPS pension benefits will be based on only two factors:

  • Your total period of membership
  • Your career average pay.

The pension benefits will be calculated as follows:

  • Pension = Career average pay x membership ÷ 80
  • Lump Sum = 3 x above annual pension

2.  What is career average pay?

It is the average of your re-valued pay during your LGPS membership period. 

For each year up to March 31st, your pay is re-valued in line with the rise in the cost of living between the end of that year and the end of the month in which you leave active membership.  In your final year, the salary from 1st April will not be re-valued. 

Each of these pay figures will be added together and divided by your total membership to derive at your career average pay. 

3.  If I retire early, will my pension be reduced? 

Your local government pension is payable for life.  So if you retire early, your pension is anticipated to be in payment for longer.  Consequently, we  account for this by reducing your pension.   

4.  Is it possible to receive a refund of my contributions?

You can receive a refund of your contributions, less any deductions for tax and the cost of re-instating you into the State Second Pension (S2P), if you: 

  • Opt out or leave the scheme within three months of joining.
  • Have no other LGPS pension rights.

If you wish to opt out of the scheme please contact your Council. 

5.  My partner and I are living together, will my partner be entitled to any benefits?

The new look Local Government Pension Scheme that came into operation for all main scheme members on the 1st April 2008 saw the introduction of survivor benefits for cohabiting partners of either opposite or same sex. 

However, as the Councillors scheme continues to be governed by the 1997 LGPS Regulations, your partner will not be entitled to a survivor’s pension. 

6.  How do I inform you of my change in circumstances such as an address or marital status?

If your circumstances change at any time during your membership you must inform the Gwynedd Pension Fund in writing by completing the following form:

Change in Circumstances Form

Alternatively you can elect to write to us by letter or e-mail.  Please visit the Contact us page of this website for our contact details.   

7.  Can the Pension section advise on pension issues?

The Gwynedd Pension Fund cannot legally give financial advice on any pension issues under the Financial Services Act 1986, but we are available to assist you with any queries you may have.  Please contact us if we can be of any assistance.

8.  How can I contact the Gwynedd Pension Fund

Please visit the Contact us section of this website for full details of how you can contact the Gwynedd Pension Fund.

9.  Do you deal with the State Pension? 

The Gwynedd Pension Fund do not deal with any issues relating to the State Pension.  For any queries you have, contact the Pension Service on 0800 731 7898 or visit their website